"Defining Moments"
One of my most recent landmark events occurred during a routine eye exam. I explained to my doctor how difficult it had become to read without holding the literature at least twelve inches from my face. Although I had purchased several pairs of over the counter reading glasses, none could offer enough clarity to properly correct my reading vision. After a thorough exam the doctor smiled and said, "You are aging nicely". To my dismay, I left his office with a prescription for my first pair of split lense, (bi-focal) eyeglasses. Contact lenses were not a viable consideration due to the nature of my impairment. It was difficult to come to terms with this moment in time. I could certainly choose to adhere to his recommendation, become stoic, move beyond vanity and prop those eyeglasses on the bridge of my nose. Or I could continue to read without corrective lenses, add stress and strain by trying to read what I could not clearly see. Even though I had been faced with the truth, the reality was difficult to swallow. Thus, a defining moment had ushered me into the valley of decision; Do I want to be cute or do I want to see clearly?
How often have you found yourself sitting in the valley of decision? Can you recall times when you've been kind of fuzzy in your thinking, at a standstill even though you knew you had arrived at a significant crossroad? Were you compelled by the Spirit of Truth to move forward, but unclear about the way you should take, direction you should turn involving a relationship, business deal, job or important ministry or life decision? Like magnifying glasses, a defining moment can cast an enlarged view, demand your attention and enable you to clearly see those road signs or marked posts you may have missed before or chosen to ignore.
Defining moments will often beckon you toward integrity checkpoints and intersections where truth has been illuminated for your viewing. It is the pathway least taken but most needed to aid you in making decisions and adjustments that will bring freedom from anyone or anything that would cause complacency, entanglement and obstruction from purpose. When you become free from doubt, confusion and uncertainty, you are better able to discern and comprehend with exactness those situations, circumstances, relationships or endeavors that would be in your better interest. I believe defining moments are gifts given to us to add further definition to the depth, width and height of our character by asking us to reassess our values and examine the motivations of our hearts.
Pay better attention to the road less traveled during your life journey. Even when faced with situations where crisis and confusion abound, you will find opportunity for growth through defining moments. Seize the moment and watch situations emerge where motives will be revealed, a life role or calling is clarified. Seize the moment and watch circumstances abound calling for your application of truth. Seize the moment and watch opportunities spring forth calling for authentic ministry in the range of your occupation. Seize the moment and watch assignments prevail that call forth the use of your talents and gifts. A missed opportunity will only delay what may have been intended for your growth and possibly the growth of another. Seize the moment!
And this is my prayer, That you would extend in the fullest development of knowledge and all keen insight, with greater depth of acquaintance and more comprehensive discernment; so that you may surely learn to sense what is vital and approve what is excellent and of real value; recognizing the highest and the best, also distinguishing the moral differences with hearts sincere and certain. Philippians 1:9-10 Amplified Bible (emphasis added)
Saturday, March 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What a wonderful article! You continue to be a blessing in my life.
Your messages are soothing, yet thought provoking to a profound state of action.
Your piece on defining moments has instantly affected my life, as I stand here pondering at one of life's decision-intersection. THANK YOU for this very timely message.
Good morning, Coach Kaye!
Your article is truly inspirational and thought-provoking. Certainly the Lord has led me to several "defining moments" in my life, but I have yet to pursue the path less taken, the road to destiny for my life. I could come up with reasons a mile long, but excuses just do not "excuse" my disobedience. I'm looking forward to the establishment of a coaching/ministry partnering relationship with you.
Post a Comment