Mission Impossible?
In my early years, Mission Impossible was my television show of choice. Covert specialists serving as operatives in the Impossible Mission Force (IMF) received mission briefings on reel-to-reel tape. After tapes were played they would self-destruct in 5 seconds and basic mission information quickly disappeared in a cloud of smoke leaving no other details. IMF agents always had the option to refuse or accept a mission yet in either case, no concrete strategic plans were given to dictate how agents should proceed. It was left up to agents to carefully discern, methodically plan and execute the most effective course of action although success was never guaranteed.
Have you ever been sent on a mission that seemed impossible to fulfill? Early in my professional career, I was given the opportunity to work as program manager, arranging educational services and support groups for single parents and disadvantaged adults. I had no formal training, experience or detailed instructions to guarantee program or client success. To top things off, I was also a part time student, wife and mother driving a broken down car. Since this was a new program, there was no predecessor or strategic plan to guide my actions, only an initial mission briefing from the program director who remained bogged down under the weight of fiscal responsibilities. It was left up to me to carefully discern and plan to execute a positive course of action. Could I pull this off? Am I smart enough? I'm certainly not skilled or equipped enough. I had so many questions, yet little did I realize that the answers I needed were hidden within the mission. But somehow I knew this wasn't about me, it was about a mission that needed to be accepted for someone else, an assignment that needed to be completed to catapult someone into destiny. I often wondered what would have happened had I not accepted the mission, until the day I was reunited with a client I had served but not seen in over13 years.
As I walked down the aisle in the store, a sudden tap on my shoulder diverted my attention to a women standing behind me whose face I could recognize but name I couldn't remember. She spoke of our short lived relationship, reminding me of her struggle with a speech impediment that had never been properly corrected although she had undergone many surgery's. I had paid for her tuition, books and child care enabling her to enroll in a college accounting course but she vanished from the program and community, never seen nor heard from again until that day. As she stood there, tears began to form in her eyes while she spoke of her battle with cancer and the victory in her full recovery. She then said, "Thank you - When no one else encouraged me I've always remembered how much you believed in me, how much you inspired me to dream and keep working towards my future, and I believe my dream kept me alive during my illness." Motivated by her dream, she graduated from college with her degree in accounting in 2005. In that very moment I came to realize one of my many missions had been accomplished howbeit in a brief encounter some 13 years earlier with a woman I didn't truly get to know.
Whether we choose to accept a mission or not, all of us called to specifically assigned territories within our workplaces, homes or communities. These are our mission fields, the places where we will be used to affect lives, prayerfully shape, positively influence and significantly impact change, even though we may not always see immediate outcomes. Sometimes our missions may appear in the most inconspicuous places; you may stumble upon a mission in the grocery store while shopping for Sunday dinner, you may realize a mission at the hair salon, at a concert or the local gas station. You may question the particulars of your mission, you may want benefit of greater details or promise of successful outcomes. You may wonder if you are qualified to accomplish the mission. "Show me, tell me Lord" may be your most frequent prayer request. You may look for answers from family and friends however your answers may lay in the mission field itself. Do not allow fear or complacency to rule because you are not totally certain about the nature of your mission. Simply remember to lean on, trust in and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own understanding - in all your ways know, recognize and acknowledge him and he will direct your paths. For with God nothing is impossible. Luke 1:37, Proverbs 3:5-6 Amplified
Tuesday, May 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
This is a powerful word especially to women to Keep the Faith, and be persistent ,don't give up and pursue the dream until it becomes a reality. Mom
What a refreshing Website, and it is (as you are) such a blessing to the Body of Christ. Thank you.
Thank You so much for the "Word of The Month" wow it blessed me REAL GOOD.I needed that fresh word added to all the word we're receiving in the house.
I tell you GOD is truly fulfilling his promises and I stand in awe!!
Thanks Again
Thank you. That was a beautiful testimony to how we affect others lives, intentional or otherwise. I appreciate those encouraging words.
Thank you for that on time word I needed to get through this manager position. So many methods to learn
regarding procedures with no or little help from mysuperiors. It's all been God leading once again. Thank you! This why I love you much.
I read the message and it really ministered to me. There is a street rescue mission in Atlanta,
I think that i will be going to check it out. Street ministry is my calling!! it might be time to return. God willing. Thanks for coaching me!
Praise God for you, Coach Kaye, for consistently providing a WORD in season. I have been questioning God about why He has me in a place of employment that is not in my area of calling, gifting, or interest. However, your message reminds me that God has a purpose for everything, and just perhaps I'm on a "mission" in this place! Thank you, and please continue to "deliver the WORD!"
Post a Comment